Anyone looking for sport activities while in Halle? Soccer, Tennis, Running, Volleyball – boring! What about trying out a new sport?! Let’s go dragon boating!
You have never heard about dragon boating?
Dragon boats are human-powered watercrafts and were traditionally made out of teak wood in China. Dragon boat racing is a team paddling sport which has its roots in an ancient folk ritual of contending villagers, which has been held for over 2000 years throughout southern China. In modern times dragon boat racing has emerged as an international sport.
Our plan is to organize weekly training sessions from the first week of May until the end of the summer term. The exact day and time for the training sessions has not been set yet as we will try to agree on a date with all students who are interested in participating.
We will not only have weekly training sessions, but also participate in at least one race, the Dragon Boat Cup in Halle
, which will take place on Saturday, 6th of June
In order to achieve high speed and win the race participants do not necessarily need to be great athletes, rather good team spirit and team work is essential! Everyone is welcome to join the team! Furthermore, there will be a price for the best team performance, costuming and battle call.
Last year we had a lot of fun. You can have a look at the pictures here
We are looking forward to this event – this will be great fun!!!
Your ESN Halle Team
Finally I can give you more information about dragon boating this year:
- The training sessions will take place on Mondays, from 8-9 pm
- The training sessions will take place on the river Saale. Here is the address: Zur Rabeninsel 23, 06128 Halle (Saale)
- The training sessions will take place from May, 4th to July 13th (11 training sessions)
- The participation fee for the training sessions and the participation in the Dragon Boat Cup is 31€.
- If you just want to participate in the weekly training sessions (for instance because you will be in Hannover for the ESNters the City on June 6th), the participation fee is 27€.
- Participants who can participate in the race will be chosen preferably.
- You can now sign up here: http://halle.esn-germany.de/content/dragon-boating
- Registration deadline is Sunday, April 26th, 9pm.